FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Social history aspects of Cinderellas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
guyana1230 View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote guyana1230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Social history aspects of Cinderellas
    Posted: 12 June 2019 at 07:41
Not sure who produced this one but it wasn't the Monks on Caldey

First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote guyana1230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 07:38
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote guyana1230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 07:37
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote guyana1230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 07:37
Joolz View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Joolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2015 at 03:39
Welcome, Ed. Not sure the that I can be of much help and I am sure you will have found all of the following yourself but just for the sake of posting it together into a single thread.

A Brief History of Caldey

Caldey is a small island off the SW coast of mainland Wales, near Tenby  in Pembrokeshire. With a recorded history going back over 1500 years, it is known as one of Holy Islands of Britain, and a number of traditions inherited from Celtic times are observed by the Cistercian monks who are the chief inhabitants of the island today. At its closest point, Caldey lies 1km (0.6mi) south of the mainland, though the usual access to the island is by small boat from the town of Tenby which is some 4km(2.5mi) to the north. The island's population consists of 40 permanent residents and a varying number of Cistercian monks, known as Trappists, whose predecessors migrated there from Belgium in the early 20th century, taking over from Anglican Benedictines who had bought the island in 1906 and built the extant monastery and abbey but later got into financial difficulties. Today the monks farm the island, chiefly raising dairy cattle, and make a range of items including cheese, shortbread, perfumes and toiletries. In the spring and summer, visitors are ferried to Caldey, not only to visit the sacred sanctuary but also to view the island's rich wildlife. Caldey Island stamps were introduced for sending items from the island to the mainland - 20 minutes away by boat, as Royal Mail does not operate there. The island maintains its own Post Office and has a unique postmark. The stamps are marked "2 dabs". The name "dab" was chosen to reflect the old idea of barter, the dab being a fish caught in local waters.

Source: http://www.localcollectorspost.org/id101.html

The Abbey Church stamp and the 1929-1979 Golden Jubilee stamp are additional to those shown on Steve's envelope above.

Caldey Island

Location: Situated two miles from the mainland close to Tenby in Pembrokeshire, South Wales

Stamps: In the 1970s and 1980s, the monastic community who live on Caldey produced a range of local stamps, sold from the island’s post office, which helped fund renovation work on the island. The island’s first stamps were issued in 1973 and showed various views of the religious buildings on Caldey, including the abbey church shown on the first stamp. The stamps were issued with a currency in ‘dabs’, the name of a local fish. In 1979, the fiftieth anniversary of the arrival of members of the Cistercian Order was commemorated by a black and gold stamps showing the monastery buildings.

Source: http://www.collectors-club-of-great-britain.co.uk/Features/Britains-local-stamps/_ft1254

I also found the following envelope on photobucket which shows another stamp.

The Caldey Lighthouse stamp is another one that is additional to any on the previous images.

I don't know whether that is now a full set of the stamps issued. There are six in total, five of which (I think) are from 1973 and one from 1979.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2015 at 08:31
ed999 View Drop Down
Unmounted
Unmounted

Post Options Post Options   Quote ed999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2015 at 04:35
Thanks KenJ. I've copied and emailed your comments to S&CM editor Matt Hill. He often uses "Sorry, I'm busy at Stampex" as an excuse for not replying to my emails. Wonder what he gets up to on those lost Saturdays?
Ed
Ed
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2015 at 01:15
I see it was awarded the "Best Refurbishment" in the Clay Roofing Awards of 2002 and I bet not many people know that!

"The Listed Grade two star Caldey Monastery, designed by John Coates Carter in an Italianate style, was built in 1906 by the Anglican Benedictines. Today the island is inhabited by the Cistercians Monks who arrived in 1929.

The practice has designed and managed an extensive schedule of conservation works to the Monastery at Caldey. The works were funded in part by the H.L.F. for whom a Conservation Plan was prepared, and included the reroofing of 90% of the monastery and the renewal of lost architectural features.

Awarded Best Refurbishment Clay Roofing Awards 2002"

Source - Acanthus Holden architects web site.

Keith
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2015 at 01:07
Originally posted by Colin Colin wrote:

Ed, if you are in the area on the Saturday of February's Stampex you are very welcome to join us in the coffee bar  Big smile   (And you too of course Ken J)

See the 'Events' thread ('What's Going On?') for more details
You have to fit in with the "no shoes with velcro fastners" rule though!

Keith
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2015 at 23:58
Ed, if you are in the area on the Saturday of February's Stampex you are very welcome to join us in the coffee bar  Big smile   (And you too of course Ken J)

See the 'Events' thread ('What's Going On?') for more details
My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>