Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KEMP LAND stamps.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 05:37
I am happy to announce Kemp Land's first new stamps for 2018.

The set of two (issued on 8th April 2018) celebrates the 50th anniversary of independence of Occussi-Ambeno.  A most noteworthy event in the Fifth World, and an anniversary that few expected to see!

The designs feature
gold and silver coins of Occussi-Ambeno, as well as a pair of sun parrakeets on the 15 cents stamp, and the airship "Graf Zeppelin" on the 75 cents.

Kemp Land 2018 Fiftieth Anniversary of Independence of Occussi-Ambeno set.
Coins of Occussi-Ambeno are shown along with sun parrakeets and the "Graf Zeppelin" airship.

These are part of an "omnibus" issue, with many of Occussi-Ambeno's friends and allies issuing similar stamps to celebrate the long-awaited anniversary.

Originally posted by Wikipedia Wikipedia wrote:

LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin (Deutsches Luftschiff Zeppelin #127; Registration: D-LZ 127) was a German-built and -operated, passenger-carrying, hydrogen-filled, rigid airship which operated commercially from 1928 to 1937. When it entered commercial service in 1928, it became the first commercial passenger transatlantic flight service in the world. It was named after the German pioneer of airships, Ferdinand von Zeppelin, who was a count (Graf) in the German nobility. During its operating life, the airship made 590 flights covering more than 1.7 million kilometers (over 1 million miles). It was designed to be operated by a crew of 36 officers and men. The LZ 127 was the longest rigid airship at the time of its completion and was only surpassed by the USS Akron in 1931. It was scrapped for fighter plane parts in 1940.

===============

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 23:52

Originally posted by Some other guy Some other guy wrote:

Liberace - GAY????

The Courts have declared that allegation is untrue and defamatory - and Liberace denied he was all his life -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberace_v_Daily_Mirror

Liberace v Daily Mirror

Entertainer Liberace (pictured) was awarded £8,000 in damages for an article strongly hinting he was a homosexual.

Liberace v Daily Mirror is a 1959 English legal case in which the American entertainer Liberace sued the Daily Mirror columnist William Connor for libel after Connor, who while writing under the pen name Cassandra, published an article strongly hinting that he was a homosexual.

At the time homosexuality was illegal in the United Kingdom. Liberace was successful in the action and was awarded £8,000.

The award was the largest libel settlement for any case in British legal history.

The Argus has described the case as "one of the most sensational libel trials of the century".

Facts

The libel action related to an article Connor wrote describing Liberace as

"...the summit of sex - the pinnacle of masculine, feminine and neuter. Everything that he, she and it can ever want... a deadly, winking, sniggering, snuggling, chromium-plated, scent-impregnated, luminous, quivering, giggling, fruit-flavoured, mincing, ice-covered heap of mother love."

The case partly hinged on the use of the term "fruit-flavoured" as fruit is an American slang term for a homosexual. Connor denied he was familiar with this usage. In court Liberace denied he was gay stating "I am against the practice because it offends convention and it offends society".

Aftermath

Following his award for damages, Liberace joked that "I cried all the way to the bank". Liberace continued to maintain that he was not a homosexual throughout his life.

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 00:00
I am surprised to see many folks have taken the Kemp Land Gay issue so personally.  Matthew requested the inclusion of Rohm in the Great Gays set, as he likes Germany stamps, and wanted to take the piss out of the Nazis with their anti-gay laws while having such blatant gays as Rohm (and maybe Hitler too?) running the show.

I am NOT a supporter of Nazism or fascism.  But recognise that such stuff exists in the globe, and that a lot of what we are told as "approved history" about the rise of Hitler is very suspect.

However, I do renounce any suggestions that I approve of Hitler and Nazis.  I collect Germany, as does Matthew, and that collecting is his reason behind having the odd German on Kemp Land stamps.

You may recall he had Stauffenberg (the guy who led the 1944 attempt on Hitler's life) on an earlier issue.  Funny no-one bothered to moan about that. Known terrorist, etc etc.

Thanks Otherguy for your overview on Liberace.  A fascinating lad! If we all followed his fashion-sense, the planet would be a much more colourful and gay place!

Kemp Land 2018 Great Gays of the World, the minisheet as issued.  A few extras of the Oscar Wilde, as 45c is the inland letter rate in Kemp Land.

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 20:40

Kemp Land 2017 1st Antarctic Ecumenical Congress set on first day cover.

The Christians are having a jolly old time in the Antarctic, with their heroes shown on these attractive stamps.  :D

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 10:58
That Congress looks a barrel of fun. Bet the bar closed late.
Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 14:35
Yes, gallons of yummy communion wine scoffed till the wee small hours, as the finer points of Luther's theses were debated!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 22:07
I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I am misinterpreting this thread (and others by Panterra) BUT...

The thread contains a continuing dialogue between the author and other members who as far as I can tell are not, and appear never to have ever been, members of this forum.

Has the thread been copied wholesale from another forum where the anti-gay comments were originally made?) In which case what a pity that such bigotry has to be repeated here.

OR

Have the apparent anti-gay comments been edited out by an admin.  In which case it has not been edited very well and I am compelled to offer my services as an admin to aid the better performance of this task in future. 

When I joined recently I had to agree to not post threads or comments about politics (which surely includes a discussion of whether Nazi politicians were 'gay' or not) race and religion (also, though comparatively mildly, being poked at here).  I am asking, as a newbie, where that line is drawn.

What a pity that such lazy cutting and pasting or editing* should spoil what is otherwise a great forum and will become a part of how outsiders might see our hobby when coming across this apparently ongoing discussion through an internet search, being the most recent posting which therefore tops the list.  

* I would like to make it absolutely clear that my comments about lazy cutting and pasting or editing are not intended as any reflection on the design or content of the artwork shown.

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 23:50
Originally posted by Alison Alison wrote:

I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I am misinterpreting this thread (and others by Panterra) BUT...

The thread contains a continuing dialogue between the author and other members who as far as I can tell are not, and appear never to have ever been, members of this forum.

Has the thread been copied wholesale from another forum where the anti-gay comments were originally made?) In which case what a pity that such bigotry has to be repeated here.

These are selected comments made on other forums concerning these stamps, copied and pasted here.
[QUOTE=Panterra]This set, issued on the actual anniversary of the conference, 20th January 2017, has aroused vitriol on the Stampboards site, with some condemning it as anti-semitic. Here are a few of the remarks:
. some on the stampboard forum can be quite forceful in expressing their opinions.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 00:45
Originally posted by Steve Steve wrote:

Originally posted by Alison Alison wrote:

These are selected comments made on other forums concerning these stamps, copied and pasted here.
[QUOTE=Panterra]This set, issued on the actual anniversary of the conference, 20th January 2017, has aroused vitriol on the Stampboards site, with some condemning it as anti-semitic. Here are a few of the remarks:

some on the stampboard forum can be quite forceful in expressing their opinions.

Then it's a shame we have to have the comments of a few stampboard forum members repeated here when clearly no-one is interested in replying or commenting. What purpose does it serve apart from leaving a malicious footprint here should the comments ever be deleted from stampboard.com.

Couldn't we give it a more positive slant?   

Can we not post the pictures of these stamps up without using this forum as a platform with which to draw attention to bigotry on another forum that has no relation to us? Are we not able to make up our own minds here without having the comments of another totally unrelated forum forced upon us? 

What is the purpose of having rules here when they are so clearly flaunted, simply be stating that they are not the poster's comments but those of another forum?   

For this member to have picked through and 'selected' the comments repeated here from stampboards.com is most unfair as the only way members here can read the full story and properly make up their own minds is to go to stampboards.com (and join their forum) in order to read the complete thread and establish for themselves the degree of supposed vitriol and accusation of anti-semitism involved. What purpose does that serve???  

I am not criticising the forum admin here for any complacency but feel perhaps someone here should ask members to be more considerate in future, before using our forum for their own promotion and self-seeking advancement. 

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 03:58
I'll just keep quiet then
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>