Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Collecting Discworld stamps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote phalarope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 05:20
It reminds me of a giant okra pod, with 'appendages'.

Wikipedia says "Okra is an allopolyploid of uncertain parentage (proposed parents include Abelmoschus ficulneus, A. tuberculatus and a reported "diploid" form of okra). Truly wild (as opposed to naturalised) populations are not known with certainty and the species may be a cultigen. The geographical origin of okra is disputed, with supporters of South Asian, Ethiopian and West African origin"

So perhaps the wahoonie is one of the "uncertain" parents of the domesticated okra plant.WinkWink
Cheers -

phalarope

'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.'

-- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips.
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 23:46
It must be pay-day again...

NEW from the Discworld Emporium... celebrating the 25th May 

Featuring Sir Sam Vimes, cigar, regalia and all!
My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 02:42
It must be that time of the month again already...

This Gulld of Artificer's stamps available now... featuring another of Ankh-Morpork's finest, George Pony.

You know... George Pony.

NCPhilip View Drop Down
Unmounted
Unmounted

Post Options Post Options   Quote NCPhilip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 06:48
I have the annual LBE subscription as it saves me quite a bit in postage over the course of the year and I’ve finally been tempted to have the first few from this year delivered. I wasn’t thrilled with the earliest offerings this year and then COVID hit, so I haven’t been in much of a rush, but I’m now feeling enthused enough about the Wahoonie, Sam Vimes, and Guild of Artificers stamps to be itchy to put them into my DW stamp book! Thanks for sharing the scans.

As an aside, have you tried removing cancelled stamps from the Emporium covers? The glue separates nicely but the cancels run somewhat when I try soaking. Any suggestions? I’ve considered fixing the cancels in place with methyl cellulose but that seems a bit extreme...

All the best,
Philip
Ralph94 View Drop Down
Unmounted
Unmounted

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ralph94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 00:18
Hi there,
I have an account on the Discworld forum , but since it was advised I now have an account on here as well. Still figuring out how  this forum works, and where to look for Discworld stamp related topics, but for now just wanted to check in and say Hi to everyone

kind regards,
Ralph
Hiromi View Drop Down
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hiromi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 22:43
Welcome to the Forum Ralph. The easiest way to find anything on here is to type it into the Search box at the top of the page and see what it turns up.

Just typing in 'Discworld'' brought up 10 pages of threads so that should keep you busy!!!

Set the search for all years, do not let it default to a single weeek, month or year.

Good luck Hug
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2021 at 01:59
He's much too modest to want to promote his own websites here but Steve Tandy ('Steve' here; 'Muba' everywhere else) has some incredibly well-researched resources online that make great reading for established collectors and beginners alike.

Go to:

Don't be daunted, there is a LOT of material there but it makes great reading and contains facts not found elsewhere, brought together from various well-informed sources over many years, and thoroughly illustrated by examples from his own collection.  Steve's websites make for rewarding reading whether it is a single stamp you are interested in or, for example, where these stamps were mentioned in any of Terry's books.

Steve writes regularly for the Cinderella Stamp Club magazine, covering all aspects of cinderella stamps collecting but focusing on modern fantasy stamps - including Discworld stamps - and we are very lucky to have him here.  

If anyone has any queries about Discword stamps in general, or has questions prompted by his above resources PLEASE do post them here and I am sure Steve will find time (somehow Steve famously bends time to accommodate all of his many hobbies) to respond to them.  

Hiromi View Drop Down
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hiromi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2021 at 04:53
Steve Muba has probably single-hands contributed more to the profits of the Discworld Emporium than any other collectors. 

His websites and Facebook page bring these stamps to life and the insider stories he must have been privy to when visiting the Emporium adds the spices.

I don't think he produced anything new on those website pages so I thought perhaps he was concentrating on Facebook and I copied everything (for only my own archive use). 

Is it worth joining this Cinderella Club for Steves Discworld stories their or are they based on the information he has already on those websites?

Thank you Steve
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2021 at 08:31
Thank you both for the above comments.

I have to say I have been guilty of not having added to either of those two web sites for a while for various reasons.
While the Emporium has continued to issue new stamps, the absence of new books means that the only updates to Discworld Stamps and Books is further stamps images. But that would just swamp out the text. You know that you only have to try and read an article on the web only to have the thread disrupted by images and adverts. Irritating to say the least.
The Discworld Stamp Collector web site was intended to both show that DW stamps could be considered philatelic items or be part of thematic collections. As far as philatelic interest is concerned most of that comes from the 'early years', and to a lesser extent the 'middle period'. Basically quality control of the output of the latter days means that there is little to look for. I spent many happy hours studying issues like the original 1$ Tower of Art green trying to identify different print runs, and print runs within print runs. Alas now every issue is vanilla flavoured. When I have more to offer I will update those pages.
Also I have to say that since Covid my activity on social media has slumped dramatically. Too much rubbish published that I don't want to see. In fact my posts have been all about my other passion - photographing wild orchids. Even here illogical Covid restrictions resulted in a downturn in posts. It was illegal for me to take off to a disued quarry where I might see two other people 100 metres away, getting my daily exercise in my local park along with some 10,000 others living within walking distance. Check out
my wild orchids website to how obsessed I can be about things other than stamps!

My contributions to The Cinderella Philatelist have been a series of article on Modern Fanatasy Cinderellas, a sub-genre I am trying to promote. To qualify the Cinderella issues need to come from a fantasy 'land' AND have a story behind them. No throwing a dart at a map of Scottish Islands and producing set after set of irrellevant issues. A modern fantasy entertains the collector; it has a background and a setting. Currently the articles are covering Gerald King's Alternative Lundy. The first article was in April 2015, volume 55, issue 2, and have been coming out quarterly since. Back copies of the magazine can be purchased individually from the Cinderella Stamp Club's website, and if anybody is interested I can provide a list of articles published. I am running short of subjects now, and will not compromise on which issues should be featured.

I have also been busy with follow-ups to Man of Mythtory, my biography of failed Welsh author Huw Puw Caru, who is a spin-off from my own Welsh Postal oddities series of stamps. I have first anthology of his short stories nearly ready to be published, and am working on a follow up explaining the secrets behind his disappearance in 1967 - The Murder of Huw Puw Caru. No spoilers but there is only one person qualified to investigate, apprehend, prosecute, judge, and sentence the assailant(s). Just say that the future of Wales is in the balance!

Nuff sed

P.S. there is one more web site that may interest collectors
Laernu and More
which is an introduction to the stamps that Colin, with and without the assistence of Alan Batley, has treated us to over the years. It covers many of the different issues and outlines what can be found if you look hard enough at your collections.

Okay, the forum does not seem to like links to websites with an inverted comma in the website name so if anybody is interested in my orchid website just Google Steve's Orchids and it should be the top entry.
roastchicken View Drop Down
Unmounted
Unmounted

Post Options Post Options   Quote roastchicken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2021 at 00:34
Hi everyone, I am a total newbie. To the forum here and to the Discworld stamps. A quick query for the Discworld stamps experts here.

I am new to collecting these stamps but I am only collecting the first five years and I have been told that the expers for the first stamps are on this forum and not the Discworld shop one. 

I have poured through the 'Catalogue' and have numerous questions. I am told that the Catalogue is not 100% reliable and relies a lot on feedback and hearsay and that the shop owners are happy to allow mistakes to appear there until they are corrected by the collectors!Personally I find this unacceptable. It can mean the difference between a collector buying or selling a stamp that might later prove to be rare and valuable.  In my opinion the shop should support the catalogue or produce a definitive version of their own.

In the interests of transparency I should point out that I have inherited a complete collection of the stamps sold after 2008 and I am trying to fill out the missing years. 

So please forgive my ignorance here, I am trying to get my bearings.

My first question is regrading the Koom Valley stamps, the 10p value showing the trolls and dwarves battling. What is the difference between sheet number SHE0033a and sheet SHE0034a? Am I missing something?I have tried copying the scans and overlaying them in a photo software but cannot see any difference.  Aren't tey the same? I though perhaps one was all trolls, the other dwarfs but I can't see that.

ALso, the Merchants One Dollar $5. There is an entry to a tall hat version of this stamp but it is listed as variation, imperforate and taken from a proof but nothing about it being released as an actual perforated stamp.Nothing about issue numbers or whether it came with the handbooks. Can you see why I am confused!!!

Any help appreciated , but there is no urgency I intend to take my time to fnish off the collection .

:-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>