Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Collecting Discworld stamps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Collecting Discworld stamps
    Posted: 02 April 2020 at 06:30
As ever, coinciding ruthlessly with the (previously assured) regularity of pay-day itself, something NEW from the Discworld Emporium, the only place on this Earth with the marketing rights to sell Discworld stamps...

A simple little stamp for these complicated times!  

The 30B stamp and minisheet from Uberwald features amusingly bearded Queen Blodwen and is now available to click and collect, along with a new Little Brown Envelope, from the usual sources.

My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

guyana1230 View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote guyana1230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 04:56
Mine arrived today:-

Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2020 at 23:03
Those are BIG scans!  Big smile

Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2020 at 23:08
With the new pay-day comes the new Discworld stamps issue...

Fauna and flora.

huffee View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote huffee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 02:25
It is ages since I bought any of these new but I thought something was odd when I first looked at these Discworld stamps 

No Vetinari. Surely the Patrcian would have wanted his head to appear on every stamp made by the AnkhMorpork post office service?  But is this now the 'done thing'?  Have all te recent stamps not got his head on? 

I suppose it could have changed since I last collected them but it loks odd to me. Also not keen on AM insyead of Ankh Morpork in full but I suppose that is understandable on a small stamps
guyana1230 View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote guyana1230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 07:39
Hoping these packets are still available when I get paid at the end of the month, although as I can't do any extra work at the moment money is getting a bit tight.
elmstead View Drop Down
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote elmstead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 09:00
Not sure what "rules" the Discworld stamps follow (if any?)

Someone here is sure to know...

The "definitives" are more likely to have the Patricians head on them but I don't think the 2pAnkh or 5p and 10p Morporkia ever have ??

Other Ankh Morpork stamps are less likely to have the Patrician Head. 
eg Sometimes the Unseen University stamps do (in 2015),  but mostly they don't (all the other years)
Unless its Hogswatch (2011) when they do. 
Similarly with the guilds the stamps of the Assassins' guild don't have the patricians head in 2004 but do in 2008, don't in 2010 or 2014 but do in 2016 and then not in 2019
Hogswatch stamps always have the Patricians Head (until 2017 and 2018 when they didn't and 2019 when 1 in 3 of the stamps does.)

The Penny Patrician has had A M in the corners since 2005 . 
The 2pAnkh has often had Ankh Morpork written in full but sometimes it doesn't even have A M (2009, 2010, 2011)

But aren't these idiosyncrasies part of what makes the stamps so interesting ?
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 09:37
Times change. Royal Mail stamps no longer say Postage and Revenue
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2020 at 00:32
When I designed the original Wahoonie stamps the description in the corner said 'Fauna' not 'Flora' ...  Ooops.

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 01:09
The Wahoonie is described said to be a fruit but I cannot find and exact reference to it in the Discworld books. It is also said to be the DW equivalent of the durian. But is it a fruit? The original Wahoonie stamp shows it without any vegetation.

This artwork has been essentially copied for the new stamp.
However to me it invokes images of the Cambrian era fossils found in the Burgess Shales of Canada. Some of these were of familiar types but others were truly bizarre, and led to the creation of totally new animal phyla.

Though it has to be said that the Wahoonie is a whole lot bigger than these marine creatures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>