Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Something a bit different - Sunday School stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Something a bit different - Sunday School stamps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something a bit different - Sunday School stamps
    Posted: 02 August 2010 at 08:38
Has anybody else got one of these in their collection?

For the uninitiated its a Sunday School stamp album. Stamps were given out for attendence and in this case the stamps were themed to the actual Sunday of the Christian Calendar. If you didn't turn up you didn't get a stamp to lick and stick. Sometimes, if a non-attendence was unavoidable, a plain stamp saying "Absent with good reason" would be given in lieu of the true stamp.

For how long this was practiced I have no idea, but those I have seen were from the 1930s - 1950s.

Would anybody here count them as Cinderellas?

gonarain View Drop Down
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote gonarain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2010 at 01:08
For me they are like the "church attendance " one.
Smile
not so bright, so explain a lot please.
Tim Maclaren View Drop Down
Unmounted
Unmounted

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tim Maclaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 19:02
Yes they certainly are,  Some sets have superb steam engines for the Sunday the youngster went on holiday.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 06:48
I now have 7 of these Sunday School albums, one of which is my one and complete. Luckily we received any missing stamps for non-attendence for good reasons.
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 08:26
The image at the bottom left appears to be of mountain climbers.  Which bit of the bible is that in?  Is it Moses?

Hi Tim.  Welcome aboard.

Keith
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2010 at 09:02
Here are some Scottish church attendance stamps that I have, at least that is how they were described:

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2012 at 09:43
I now have a similar sheet

These are often sold as strips of five on variously coloured papers; white, yellow, blue, mauve. And as Daniel says called Sunday school attendence stamps. But I have now accumulated more of those albums, and none that I have seen have had stamps that could be part of this series, It would be nice to know whether this is the truth behind these stamps and whether there is a full list of the designs.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 10:15
Here's another group of stamps on the same theme
I doubt that this is a full set

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2012 at 04:10
I have just received this item. A guide for Sunday School teachers about the stamps an how to do some RE using the stamps. Its dated 1928. Up to now I had assumed that the stamps were just for attendances, but this shows they they were used as a springboard for a lesson or two.

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 04:33
I now have a box full of Sunday School stamps, several for each sunday of the year plus Xmas and good Friday

These are from 1963-64 and would appear to be from the same concern that produced those from two posts above, but those are from a different year. New sets were produced every year, but do not seeem to be well collected. I have examples of albums from at least 10 different sources, and those are just UK. I notice that the sheets are divided up before purchase. This must have increased the cost of the stamps, being labour intensive, but even so a full box at £2 then would only be about £40 now. Thats about £2 per set of 50+ stamps.

If anybody is interested in a set there is post in the Trading section
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>