Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Something a bit different - Sunday School stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Something a bit different - Sunday School stamps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 02:10
Originally posted by jamesw jamesw wrote:

This is a beautiful collection Steve! I have to say  I do have a bit of a soft spot for these. Don't know why, I'm not at all religious, despite (or possibly because of) attending Vacation Bible School as a wee tyke. But my cinderella collection sports a few religious items, and they are often quite lovely. Certainly the churches made good use of labels.
I'd say that last batch is early 20th century, 1900 to post WWI at least.
Nice.

James, I think I am of exactly the same opinions as you.
Many thanks for the age guess. Close to mine too.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2013 at 06:24
And some more card stamps, this time from Germany. Like those above they are printed on card rather than paper, and are perforated. The seller said they were originaly his grandmother's and date from 1905-25. There is some German text on the back in period typeface.
Again three of them seem a bit girly and I wonder if the boys in the classes got ones more masculine.

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2013 at 21:36
Drat!!    

Bidding on one of these has gone way over what I would be willing to pay. While most of these albums go for reasonable figure, some older ones do reach good prices. There must be other collectors out there, or these higher price oes are bought for specific reasons.

If anybody has one of these and wants to sell please contact me. Or just a scan if you don't want to sell.
thanks
Steve
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 23:20
I contacted the Society of the Faith, the successor to the Faith Press, who produced some of the best examples of these stamps and alums in terms of quality, artwork and design. It transpires that they themselves have very little information on this sideline and very little archived material. Much was lost during WWI and when Faith Press went into liquidation. They were impressed enough to put a link on their website to my collection pages
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2013 at 01:41
Excellent Steve, where were Faith Press based?  There might be someone here local to their area who could look out for items for you in auctions or sales?
My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2013 at 03:17
Leighton Buzzard
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2013 at 03:37
The web site detailing my collection has just been updated with a quite a number of new examples. There are about 95-100 sets and albums represeted now, and I am beginning to develop continuous runs of different years.
If only they were:
* All complete with stamps
* Kept neat and tidy by the kids
* Correct stamps were always used
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2014 at 06:02
I recently received these attendance stamps from America. Unlike all the others these are just one design, and rather small at just 20mm tall and 13mm wide. Not very exciting but different.

If anybody knows when or where these were used, or whether and album or collectors card was used it would be appreciated
Bas S Warwick View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bas S Warwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2014 at 09:19
Haven't seen those before Steve, although they look so generic  they may have been printed by the million. Unusual font on 'Sunday School' - you may be able to date them approximately if you can trace that.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2014 at 09:24
I agree about the quantities possubly printed. Looks like a colour variation there from a different print. It is a distinctive typeface, and my impression is pre-1925
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>