Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rarest of the Rare

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hilary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 07:24
Originally posted by Colin Colin wrote:

And by the way Charles - great work! That must have taken you ages...  Like Steve James DW stamp history website it makes me wonder why the shop do not already have this sort of information available for their collectors, surely they are the best qualified to produce it?  What would they do there without people like you, Steve James, Kel and Doc?

If it's anything like it was when I was there, it's too busy, and you always think you'll remember stuff until such time as you have time to record it and then when you do, you don't.  If you see what I mean.
With a memory full of ships, and seas, and perilous headlands, and the shining Pharos, he must apply his long sighted eyes to the petty niceties of drawing. - Robert Louis Stevenson
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 07:29

Sorry to be secretive but I think it's for the right reasons.  I can give you all one hint at a previous mystery that should have you getting your magnifying glasses out - and a strong light source...

[EDITED AS BELOW]

I am very happy to look through entire collections - when I have done this in the past I have usually found oddities and rarities for people,  no problem.

I agree with you Daniel, all DW stocks are cinderellas, whether labels or stamps, easy to forget that sometimes! 

I might take the above sport hint off after a couple of days, just so only our forum members get to see it. What do you think?  Perhaps I should make it a regular feature!
My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 07:34
Hilary - I know what you mean but if the fans can do such things in their spare time, then it ought to be possible to schedule recording things for posterity into the production schedule if only as a way of closing each stage of the project.   The longer they produce stamps the more they need someone with excellent product knowledge, a talent for project management and an eye for detail - but iirc they let her go...  Confused

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 07:37
Originally posted by Daniel Daniel wrote:

Sometimes I get the impression that the Colin Edwards on this forum isn't the same one who designed the Discworld stamps! He is so secretive (remember the question of the Discworld stamp printers) and worse, he drops hints of unknown sports and then refuses to expound on the subject!

On the contrary, its the same guy. He has just let the cat out of the bag about a sport-sheet - 6 yearslater. How secretive can you be? I am pretty sure that there are other hidden variations waiting to be discovered by those whose eyesight hasn't already been compromised by squinting looking for all the known ones.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 07:39
Originally posted by Colin Colin wrote:

I might take the above sport hint off after a couple of days, just so only our forum members get to see it. What do you think?  Perhaps I should make it a regular feature!

The occasional 'sports-drop' would be a fun feature, but as you suggest a removal a few days later would add yo the fun and confusion.
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 08:19

Fun and confusion... Yay!

This one I will take off after 100 views. I think enough people will have seen it by then and I won't run the risk  of derailing Charles' thread.  If I do it again I will start a new thread.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 11:35
Colin

Out of the 16 posts currently in this thread half are already yours so i think it a little disingenuous to kindly offer not to derail it  Tongue

There are already over 85 views on this thread so perhaps you should keep it on a little longer to allow others to see it. Or start another thread. With a more interesting sport, please?!  I think it would be a great idea to have a 'sports-drop' here, I still have lots of the early stamps and it would be fun to dig them out and go through them again for new sports. I am sure I still have all the Regimental booklets from 2005.

And I agree its a splendid piece of work Charles, though a little disturbing that this already long list is of just the rarities of Discworld stamps, not the whole range. I wouldn't want to be a collector starting now even though the prices on the secondary market have dropped so dramatically since the early days. There seem to be so few new collectors now, everyone seems to have everything they can easily afford and it's now about topping up with the new ones and saving up for the rarer ones as they come up for sale on the secondhand market.

Nice to see it busy here though - nine members on at present.  Must drop in more often.
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 12:06
Its 94 visits now I have had to come back here again... sorry

I'll take it off in the morning, and Charles can have his thread back, with my apologies  Embarrassed

Murgatroyd View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 16:52
It's everyones thread... That's the whole point!
Colin... How's about a simple yes or no answer..
Question: Might it be the case that some of the AM definitives in the years 1-4 which accepted wisdom says have no sports actually do but have thus far been undiscovered?
"I've got twenty minutes to save the world and I've got a Post Office, and it's shut." The Raggedy Doctor.
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 20:31
Hi Charles

Andy has a point, better to keep this thread as a listing of known rare stamps than turn it into a thread about unknown sports.

The answer to your question is No - all sports I am aware of on the first four years of the definitives have been discovered.  But I'm not going to go through this process for every series of stamps in the archive!

I will take out the reference to the sport later this morning, I am sure enough people have read it now to go look for it.

[EDITED at 10.30am after 130+ views]  Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>