Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Caldey Island local issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hilary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caldey Island local issue
    Posted: 27 April 2011 at 00:49
Anyone going after the Caldey Island local issue lighthouse stamp currently on ebay, be warned.  You'll have to fight me for it!
With a memory full of ships, and seas, and perilous headlands, and the shining Pharos, he must apply his long sighted eyes to the petty niceties of drawing. - Robert Louis Stevenson
unohoo View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote unohoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 01:09
There's two on there at the moment!
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 02:13
I have wondered a few times whether the ebay cindies I have been buying have been at the expense of other members here - or whether I had lost out to them at the end.

I take the view that it is often better not to draw others' attention to auction lots until after you know you have won them.

So which one of the two are you going for Hilary?

My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 03:15
I do like Caldey Island locals, they don't have a prolific stamp issuing policy and they relate directly to Caldey. Now, I don't have the lighthouse stamp....Evil Smile
Hilary View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hilary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 08:59
Originally posted by Colin Colin wrote:

I have wondered a few times whether the ebay cindies I have been buying have been at the expense of other members here - or whether I had lost out to them at the end.

I take the view that it is often better not to draw others' attention to auction lots until after you know you have won them.

I was more motivated by the fact that there are one or two very kind people on this forum who have been known to snap up lighthouse stamps and send them to me, and to warn them this was not the time for an indiscriminate act of generosity.
With a memory full of ships, and seas, and perilous headlands, and the shining Pharos, he must apply his long sighted eyes to the petty niceties of drawing. - Robert Louis Stevenson
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 11:04
Those seem popular. Glad I already have a copy.
Anybody know how much they charge for them on the island these days?
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 20:05
Popular and yet inexpensive, and with, by the looks of it, plenty of potential buyers should you wish to sell later. 
My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

Quilpusha View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Quilpusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 21:51

. . . we haven't been to Caldey for about eight years, but back then - as I remember it - we bought post cards at the PO, and their own stamps were an option to go with a Welsh region 1st Class stamp on the cards. Pennies to buy from memory.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2011 at 00:22
Originally posted by Colin Colin wrote:

I take the view that it is often better not to draw others' attention to auction lots until after you know you have won them

Couldn't agree more.
My heart sinks sometimes when something I really want and have been watching gets flagged up in a forum with a post saying "Hey guys look at this!!!". May as well delete from the watch list when that happens.
Hilary View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hilary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 05:51
Got it!  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>