Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Caldey Island local issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Joolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 12:17
Or pm individually to each of Daniel and Hilary to make sure they see your offer.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 21:05
Originally posted by Joolz Joolz wrote:

Or pm individually to each of Daniel and Hilary to make sure they see your offer.

Yes, but as Keith has rightly pointed out elsewhere, if we all PM each other with information then there is no need for a forum.

Surely the best way to make a success of our forum is to make materails for sale available to everyone. Simply because contributors to this thread have expressed an interest in Lighthouse stamps it need not mean that other members past present and future would not also be interested, and I would have thought the first place people would look if they wanted to buy a stamp would be the 'Market Place' and Trading sections of the Forum.

Joolz View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Joolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 08:55
Originally posted by Bearstone Bearstone wrote:

Yes, but as Keith has rightly pointed out elsewhere, if we all PM each other with information then there is no need for a forum.
Well, there are perfectly valid uses on a forum for both the public messaging and private messaging functionality so it's hardly an either/or. Confused

Nevertheless, in the spirit of "it's hardly an either/or", I should have phrased my earlier post as: "And perhaps pm individually to each of Daniel and Hilary to make sure they see your offer."

Speaking only for myself of course, I get an email prompt for a private message but not necessarily for every possible thread on the forum where something of interest to me might crop up. So, it would be fairly easy for me to miss a post on the public forums that would be of interest particularly if it was time-critical (I'm not on here every hour of every day) but I would certainly be prompted to check my private messages by the arrival of the consequential email prompt in my inbox and I would then check the forum. And everyone's happy. Aren't they?
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2011 at 09:51
For my part, I'm pleased to say that I read all posts (with the exception of the Best Pork Pie Ever thread LOL). I believe that Hilary was only interested in the lighthouse stamp and I have 3 of those stamps but may bid anyway to get the 4th. Although these 4 are often sold together I don't think that they are a set. That said, I've only ever seen 5 Caldey stamps which would represent a very conservative stamp issuing policy (Royal Mail please take note!). Does anyone know of any others from Caldey?

Maybe they don't produce stamps anymore. Thanks for alert Bearstone.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2011 at 10:52
I presume, I'd better find out first how this forum works, but never mind...
Here's an overview of all Caldey issues until 2003. Not only Royal Mail could take this issuing policy as an example: nowadays almost all stamp issuing entities throughout the world don't mind ruining bank accounts of poor old & faithful subcription members...
Here it is:
1973 blue and black - Monastery Church
1974 red and black - St. David's Church
1976 yellow and green - St. Illtud's Church   
1980 gold and black - Caldey Abbey
1982 blue and black - Abbey Church
2001 red and black - Caldey Lighthouse
Apparently, around 1980 reprints were made of the early issues with, I think, slightly different colours and twenty vertical perforation holes instead of twenty-one.
Joolz View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Joolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2011 at 12:09
Originally posted by Daniel Daniel wrote:

For my part, I'm pleased to say that I read all posts (with the exception of the Best Pork Pie Ever thread LOL).
Oh, I read all posts (including the Best Pork Pie Ever thread Clap) as well ... only modifed by the word 'eventually'. But, I read my private messages with alacrity.
Keegan View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keegan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 05:26
Hi Quilly (if I may be so bold) enjoy your trip to Caldey, they used to take everybody over in an old WW2 landing craft, the impulse to run up the beach screaming and then dig a hole was hard to resist. Regarding the lighthouse stamp, its the only one I've never seen on a first day cover.
If you could pick me one up - I'd pay you in beer.
keegan
Rehab is for quitters
Quilpusha View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Quilpusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 19:53

. . . Keegy, Wink consider it done.  I will pm you nearer the time.
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2011 at 10:21
Originally posted by jrwolthuis jrwolthuis wrote:

I presume, I'd better find out first how this forum works, but never mind...
Here's an overview of all Caldey issues until 2003. Not only Royal Mail could take this issuing policy as an example: nowadays almost all stamp issuing entities throughout the world don't mind ruining bank accounts of poor old & faithful subcription members...
Here it is:
1973 blue and black - Monastery Church
1974 red and black - St. David's Church
1976 yellow and green - St. Illtud's Church   
1980 gold and black - Caldey Abbey
1982 blue and black - Abbey Church
2001 red and black - Caldey Lighthouse
Apparently, around 1980 reprints were made of the early issues with, I think, slightly different colours and twenty vertical perforation holes instead of twenty-one.

Thanks for this response which answered my query exactly. I did bid on and win the 4 Caldey stamps mentioned so I only need 2 for the set.
kevin View Drop Down
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2013 at 10:20
I am bumping this thread as despite living not too far from Caldey and having visited a number of times, I still don't have the 1973 blue & black Monastery Church stamp. If anyone has a spare to sell, I would be interested.

BTW, if anyone wants the current issues, they are for sale on the island and in the Caldy shop in Tenby for 10p each.
Kevin.   Postmaster for The Gower Islands Postal Service.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>