FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Fantasy Stamps of Gerald M King

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 08:25
I need to thank Daniel for raising this topic and Steve for giving me Gerald's e-mail.

I now have all Gerald's catalogues.  They are brilliant, as are the stamps and the covers and postal stationery.  What a talent.

I'm just rushing off the biggest order I can afford.  A whole new area of collecting has opened up for me.  I'm very grateful indeed boys.

Keith
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 06:31
Originally posted by Keith Keith wrote:

I bought a copy of "Alice Through the Pillar-box" yesterday.  Quite stunning.  The best £5 I've spent in quite a while.

Hope you had a good laugh as it should be like the others. I am missing Pillar-box, but have the Snark Island catalogue, Curiouser and Curiouser, Alice the Millennium Collection, Postage Stamps of Wonderland and Lundy the Alternative Collection. He has successfully translated the stories, logic and humour of the Wonderland tales into the stamps and the catalogues. Dodgson would probably have a good chuckle.
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 23:20
I bought a copy of "Alice Through the Pillar-box" yesterday.  Quite stunning.  The best £5 I've spent in quite a while.

I am keenly awaiting contact from Gerald so that I can start a whole new accumulation.  Thumbs Up

Keith
unohoo View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote unohoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 21:48
I've been in touch with Gerald for a while now. I've bought all of the Wonderland and Snark stamps, and the first batch of wonderland covers. They are superb.

I've also pointed Gerald in the direction of this forum. Unfortunately, he has had a bit of a tough time personally recently (out of respect for him, I won't go into detail), but he has said he will look in soon.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 11:09
I have been an admirer of Geralds work for a little while. I own very items from his vast catalogue and keep meaning to correct this.
All I have is a few of the Charles Dodgson covers, the Tudor pennypost set and a few other odds and ends. I think one problem is deciding which I like most.

In fact I have several of his catalogues by my desk at the moment. His humour is unique and is perfect for the Wonderland stamps.
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 10:37
I don't own any of these but I am very interested in them. I was tracking several on eBay recently but never managed to bid. I'll look forward to learning more as they may become a new collecting area for me. They look like everything cinderellas should be; witty, quality, available.

Keith
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 10:15
These seem to fall into several categories but it is difficult to find much up to date information.

Firstly there are the Postage Stamps of Wonderland. Gerald King first produced these in response to the lack of any official stamps from the Post Office to commemorate the centenary of the first publication of Lewis Carroll's 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'. He originally planned 6 which soon grew to 36 and expanded further. They were originally definitive stamps based on Queen Victoria issues and depicting her as Queen of Wonderland but commemorative stamps soon followed. His covers are the best and have suitably authentic-looking postmarks.
(Royal Mail have subsequently issued several Alice stamps)

I have 2 catalogues entitled 'Curiouser and Curiouser!', the first one even included imperforate specimen samples hinged into the back. Then came the publication of 'Alice Through the Pillar-box', a full-colour book layed out as a stamp album featuring the stamps and covers. This latter publication, published in 1978, is readily available from the second-hand market.

Stamps for Snark, presumably based on Carroll's poem The Hunting of the Snark and the Isle of Sark in the Channel Islands, have also appeared and I believe there was a catalogue as well.

Then there are his Lundy stamps which also started off as take-offs of Victorian stamps but these grew to include stamps of George V including one set naming him as The Supreme Lord. These are based on stamps issued by Jamaica (also parodied by David Horry in his book). 
Here is a very clever Wonderland/Lundy crossover:

Then I have various British Queen Elizabeth stamps based on Victorian designs.

Finally, I have a set of Tudor 1d stamps for Henry VII, Henry VIII, Edward VI, Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth also attributed to Gerald King.

I'll add images where I can.

Any additional information on these or other issues by him would be much appreciated.

Edited by Daniel - 02 November 2010 at 12:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12